Important Reminder --  If renewing your "Green Card" or Permanent Resident Visa or Permit you must bring your U.S. Income Tax Return Filings Up To Date!

  The Department of Homeland Security currently requires that the applicant for a Green Card  or Permanent Residency renewal file U.S. tax returns for past tax years. You must provide them with proof that the last three years were filed with your application to renew. This rule also applies to applications to secure a residency permit for your spouse or children.

 As a Green Card Holder, you must comply with all U.S. tax laws the same as a U.S. Citizen. U.S. Citizens are required to file a tax return for each calendar year no matter where they live or work in the world unless they earn below a certain amount (which changes each year).  There are tax benefits such as the foreign earned income exclusion and foreign tax credits which often result in no taxes being owed regardless of the fact the return is filed late or that the filer had substantial income living abroad. Click here to review those benefits which are only available if you file your tax return and are living abroad.  The benefits are not automatic.

  We have helped hundreds of Green Card Holders catch up with their US tax filings. It can be done very quickly if you have a deadline to meet.  Please download the expat tax form at the link below and complete it for each year you wish to file a return. Send it to us and we will get back to you with a firm fee quote to prepare those returns and questions. We have helped hundreds of citizens and permanent residents living abroad catch up with their U.S. tax return obligation.  Please email us for further information on preparing and filing your returns. We are not immigration attorneys and cannot answer your questions on permanent residency or immigration. Thanks.

 Expatriate Tax Return Questionnaire (msword format)


Don D. Nelson, Certified Public Accountant. Attorney at Law
U.S. Phone (949) 481-4094   U.S. Fax (949)218-6483
Email:  or  email web form

    Expat Tax Rules